Many individuals who do aromatherapy are familiar with the Ylang Ylang essential oil. That is because of the stress-reducing properties that it possesses.
The Ylang Ylang tree (Cananga odorata) is naturally found in the tropical rainforests of Comoro, Indonesia, Java, the Philippines, Polynesia, and Sumatra. Like other essential oils, it is derived from steam distillation. The star-shaped flowering parts of the tree are used. The scent of Ylang Ylang is known for its sweet, floral, and fresh smell that is also a bit fruity.
In Indonesia, the flowers are believed to have aphrodisiac properties. Meanwhile, in the Philippines, traditional healers use Ylang Ylang essential oil for cuts, burns, and insect bites. It was also used as an ingredient for hair pomade in the Molucca Islands.
In the early 20th century, a chemist found that the Ylang Ylang essential oil has medicinal properties. So, many believe it to be a potent remedy for intestinal infections and even malaria.
Eventually, it has become popular for stress reduction and alleviation of the symptoms and effects of anxiety. It is also being used for insomnia.
Based on various studies and research, Ylang Ylang is an effective way to:
- Alleviate anxiety
- Boost mood
- Decrease heart rate
- Help with reducing depression
- Lower blood pressure
- Stimulate oil production (skin and scalp)
- Repel flying insects
As an herbal treatment, traditional medicine practitioners use it to address certain conditions like:
- Stomach distress
Essential oils can be used in various ways. The same thing applies to Ylang Ylang.
- You can use this essential oil as a perfume by applying a few drops to your clothes.
- For relaxation, add 2 to 3 drops to a diffuser.
- Never apply Ylang Ylang essential oil directly on the skin. Dilute it by mixing 1 to 2 drops with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Such as coconut or jojoba. Then, massage it gently on the affected area.
- For skin hydration and moisture, add 1 to 2 drops to regular face cream.
- Add 2 to 3 drops with coconut oil, which serves as the carrier oil. Blend the mixture well and massage it on the scalp. Doing this will add luster and detangle your hair. Do it 20 minutes before you shower. Wash it thoroughly using a mild shampoo.
- For a hair conditioning oil, add 15 drops to a half cup of sweet almond carrier oil.
When it comes to essential oils, Ylang Ylang is a great option that offers multiple benefits.
META DESCRIPTION: When choosing essential oils, always consider the benefits that they offer. Ylang Ylang is a great option for relaxation and alleviation of stress.