In case 2020 — and 2021 — hasn’t made it crystal clear, face masks are the biggest must-have during the pandemic era. Offering vital protection, it looks like the masks are here to stay… at least for a while.
However, while the masks are necessary and play a vital role, they can get uncomfortable if worn for a prolonged period of time.
Plus, in their effort to protect us, face masks are, alas, also keeping other wonderful scents at bay. The refreshing zesty scent of lemons, the comforting embrace of lavender, and more are unfortunately masked.
Well, what if we told you that there’s a way to make wearing a mask far more bearable and even enjoyable? See, this is where a DIY mask spray can help.
And, today, we’ll be sharing some of the best ingredients to include in your spray as well as a step-by-step guide on how to DIY a mask spray.
Mask Spray Ingredients
Below, you’ll find some of the best solutions that you can add to your mask spray:
- Witch hazel
Extracted from the witch hazel plant, it helps by acting as the emulsifier — keeping the water and essential oils mixed. Plus, witch hazel also helps to disperse the essential oils.
Beyond that, witch hazel is known for its many benefits including antibacterial properties. And, it acts as a general astringent, too.
- Distilled water
- Essential oils
You can pretty much choose any essential oil that you like to add to your mask spray. Here are a few that you can try:
- Lavender – this essential oil helps to ease stress and tension, which helps to promote relaxation.
- Orange or lemon – known for their rejuvenating scents, these essential oils will keep you fresh and alert.
- Bergamot – great to reduce stress and anxiety, Bergamot essential oil is also excellent in calming your skin.
- Tea tree – popular for its healthy skin-boosting properties, tea tree will help to keep the dreaded maskne at bay.
Of course, there’s no hard and fast rule that says that you’re limited to just one type of essential oil. Instead, feel free to combine the ones that you like. Otherwise, you can also find plenty of creative combinations online. The possibilities are endless, really!
DIY Mask Spray Directions
Making a DIY mask spray is extremely easy and you can get it down pat in minutes. Here’s how:
- Make sure you have 3 tablespoons (45ml) of witch hazel, 1 tablespoon (15ml of distilled water), and 20 drops of any essential oil.
- Add the witch hazel, distilled water, and essential oil of choice to a spray bottle. It’s best to go with a glass spray bottle as pure essential oils tend to be very potent.
- Mix thoroughly and your DIY mask spray is ready for use!
- Lightly spray a few pumps on the inside and outside of your mask. Repeat whenever you feel like it or if the scent has faded. However, don’t apply while the mask is on your face.
Keep in mind that this DIY mask spray isn’t meant to be the catch-all solution that sanitizes your mask. So, you’ll still have to wash or replace your mask after use.
Armed with your favorite DIY mask spray, wearing a mask can be enjoyable and relaxing — in addition to life-saving, of course!