In this day and age, self-love is anything but easy. Life moves so fast that most of us have no choice but to constantly play catch-up. There’s always another item on the to-do list. There’s always someone else to care for. There’s always somewhere to be. And, in the process of doing all that, we put ourselves on the back burner.
Naturally, this is far from sustainable or right. So, how do we make ourselves a priority? Why, with self-love, of course. But, then, there’s the question of how does one practices self-love?
Well, that’s exactly what we’re going to talk about today. Read on now to discover the five ways you can practice self-love.
1. Stop the Negative Self Talk
First things first, the negative self-talk has to go. Cut yourself some slack and make some changes to the way you talk to yourself. Stop berating and putting yourself down. Instead, talk to yourself the way you would talk to your best friend and loved ones. With kindness and positivity.
Whenever negative thoughts plague your mind or you find that you’re being harsh to yourself, make note of it and intentionally change it into something positive.
2. Practise self-care
Self-care is a huge and vital part of self-love. After all, the most important person in your life is you.
Here are some suggestions on how you can take better care of yourself:
- Workout for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Spend some time with friends and loved ones.
- Nourish yourself with better and healthier food.
- Take time off and go on a vacation to unwind — even if it’s just for a couple of days.
- Indulge in a hot bath with some essential oils. If you’re looking for calmness and relaxation, the lavender essential oil would get the job done. If you’re looking for something more uplifting and rejuvenating, we would recommend going with orange or bergamot essential oils. Of course, you can also mix and match to better suit your needs.
- Make time for a face mask before bed.
- Treat yourself to a shopping spree.
- Go out and experience something new.
3. Just Say No
Saying no is undoubtedly really hard and something most of us struggle with. After all, most of us want to please everybody and be liked by everybody. Hence, it feels like we’re disappointing someone if we say no.
But, when you say yes to anything and everything, you’ll end up spreading yourself too thin and be miserable. This is why it’s important to set boundaries and learn when to turn something down. Exercise your right to say no.
4. Enjoy Your Own Company
There’s really nothing more liberating and empowering than flying solo and spending time with yourself. You can take this time to recharge and get to know yourself better. This could mean taking a walk around the local park, enjoying dinner alone, or being a tourist in your own town.
5. Accept Yourself
If there’s one thing more exhausting and burdensome than Mondays, it’s being someone you’re not. Try to accept yourself, instead. Recognize your own unique skills, talents, and intricacies. Focus on what makes you, you.
We’re well aware, things like self-love are always easier said than done. But, know this: once you’ve taken the first step, things get a lot easier.