Mass produced synthetic cleaning agents can introduce a bevy of toxins and chemicals into your home, whether on surfaces or in the air you breathe. What many don’t know is that there are other options to the mainstream chemical cleaning products, and what you keep in your natural skin care stock may be just as efficient at cleaning your home as it is in your skincare regimen. 100% natural essential oils can be used as incredibly effective cleaning agents, while also purifying the air you breathe and leaving your home free of the synthetics you don’t want.
5 Essential Oils For Cleaning The Home
Not all essential oils are cleaning oils, but many are. 5 essential oils that are essential in natural home cleaning and deodorizing are:
- Tea Tree – Tea tree oil is a common oil in fighting infections and clearing up acne prone skin, but it also works wonders as a cleaning agent. Tea tree has natural antibacterial and antiviral properties, which means it can eliminate bacterial while also stopping the spread of cold and flu germs. With a pleasant fresh scent, it’s perfect for use during cold season.
- Orange essential oil – Orange essential oil has a delightful revitalizing scent, but it can also be your best defense against grease. When cleaning a stove-top, pots and pans, or even a grill, a heavy chemical-laden degreaser isn’t necessary if you have orange essential oil on hand.
- Lemon essential oil – The scent of lemon is synonymous with cleanliness, which is why it’s such a common scent in many mass-produced cleaners. Unfortunately, however, these lemon fragrances are often synthetic, but you can have the real thing with lemon essential oil. Like tea tree, lemon essential oil is antiviral and antibacterial, helping to eliminate bacterial growth while curbing the spread of viruses. During cold and flu season, one may even put lemon essential oil into a diffuser to kill viruses in the air while refreshing the scent of any room.
- Rosemary essential oil – Rosemary essential oil has a fresh herbal scent, as well as natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties. The scent and abilities of this oil make it a great option for naturally cleaning kitchen areas.
- Clove essential oil – Clove essential oil has a distinct pleasant spicy aroma, and also a natural antiseptic and antibacterial property much like rosemary. For cleaning and deodorizing closets or wardrobes, clove oil is a must-have. Simply dab the oil along with orange oil onto a cotton ball, and place the cotton ball into an old sock. Place the sock into closets to keep the area smelling fresh while mold growth and cloth-eating moths are kept far away.
Synthetic cleaning agents are not necessary in creating a healthy and deodorized home with the introduction of natural essential oils.